Tuesday, June 23, 2009

Reading History... the Fun Kind

The Seattle Public Library's reading blog, Shelf Talk, is one of my favorite places to go when I am looking for reading inspiration! This post's focus, "Viewing History through a New Lens," is on reading history books that take a different look at the events described.

As someone with a history background, I love when authors try to put an interesting spin on history and, as a result, make it much more accessible. That is one complaint I hear often: "But it is so boring!"

Being an historically minded person, I have never really understood this complaint. However, in the past two years I have noticed a marked increase in the number of popular history titles - from The Forgotten Man to anything by Doris Kearns Goodwin - and, I would like to think, that it is making people hungrier for the topic.

Kudos to all libraries and bookstores that are promoting fun, historical reading!

On that note, I would like to close with one of many great Dorris Kearns Goodwin interviews on The Daily Show!

The Daily Show With Jon StewartMon - Thurs 11p / 10c
Doris Kearns Goodwin
thedailyshow.com
Daily Show
Full Episodes
Political HumorJason Jones in Iran

No comments:

Post a Comment